The Mother Church
It might be said that St. Paul Lutheran Church in Lititz dates back to June 1, 1823 because that is the date of the founding of Salem Lutheran Church of New Haven, now Kissel Hill. This was the mother congregation of a new congregation of 56 persons who officially formed a Lutheran Congregation in Lititz on April 1, 1886.
Move to Spruce Street
A piece of land was purchased on the west side of what is now South Spruce Street. The cornerstone for the new building was laid September 13, 1885. The new building was completed at a cost of $6,000.00 and dedicated on February 14, 1886. The last service was held December 1, 1912. In the spring of 1886, the congregation bought two acres about one half mile from the church. This lot was to be used as a cemetery, and was called Machpelah. When the ground was consecrated for use as a burial place, members of the congregation marched out to the site after Sunday school.
To the corner of Orange and Broad
In twenty-five years the congregation outgrew the Spruce Street Church and in 1911 erected the sandstone church at the corner of Broad and Orange Streets. A cornerstone was laid on Sunday, September 3, 1911 and the dedication of this church followed on December 8, 1912. Total cost was $55,000.
A Merger with St. James
In 1918, St James Evangelical Lutheran Church, a General Synod Church in Old Warwick, merged with St Paul. Thirty-nine members from St James transferred membership to St Paul. The St James Church was located on the corner of Front and Water Streets. St James Lutheran Church was dedicated May 20, 1906 with the last service January 26, 1919.
From 1912 until 1959, St Paul continued its growth under various pastors. A definite need existed for an education building. Since various studies indicated that there was no property available for expansion at the corner of Broad and Orange Streets, a search began for land. In 1958, the congregation agreed to purchase over eight acres from the Moravian Congregation. This land was located along West Orange Street and was purchased at a reasonable price just over $16,000. The cornerstone for the new educational building was laid in 1960 as part of our 75th Anniversary on September 11, 1960. The total cost of the structure was $405,000.